Sunday, 15 November 2009

Sundays at the cemetery

We go to the cemetery almost daily. I rarely cry when I'm there. I like to tidy up Florence's grave, light her candles, and just be.(I also check on her neighbours.)
The sun seems to always shine when we are there.Even on dark, rainy days, the light streams through the trees.
Now that winter is here,the gates close at 4pm, so if we go around 3.30 and light her candles,I know they will burn brightly just as the sky gets dark.
I'm not alone. Today as we left there was a sea of flickering lanterns right across the cemetery. All those loved ones remembered.
Sometimes I catch myself wondering what Florence would think of it there had she lived, and then I remember we'd have no need to go there had Florence lived.
Then I'm reminded what a fucked up world I live in now.