Sunday, 29 November 2009

Tread Lightly


Tread Lightly, originally uploaded by indiaeden.

REQUIESCAT

by: Oscar Wilde

Tread lightly, she is near
Under the snow,
Speak gently, she can hear
The daisies grow.

All her bright golden hair
Tarnished with rust,
She that was young and fair
Fallen to dust.

Lily-like, white as snow,
She hardly knew
She was a woman, so
Sweetly she grew.

Coffin-board, heavy stone,
Lie on her breast,
I vex my heart alone,
She is at rest.

Peace, peace, she cannot hear
Lyre or sonnet,
All my life's buried here,
Heap earth upon it.



Florence's headstone was laid on Friday.
This poem was going round and round in my head after Florence died, so we chose a passage from it for her stone.
I feel peace that it's now laid, and I'm happy with the simplicity of it.



Sometimes I find myself at the cemetery feeling all sorts of emotions. Yesterday I was grinning so hard when I saw the grave next door but one to Florence. The grave is of an older gentleman, obviously much loved by a large family. His plot is always very decorated. Yesterday his family had decorated his whole plot with fake snow, a large decorated Christmas tree, and even snowmen!
We have been considering a small conifer with solar powered fairy lights for Florence, but nothing so elaborate. It was a bit tacky I guess, but lovely to see he was so loved, and certainly made me smile.

(PS if you are looking for the results of the giveaway scroll down to the next post)